Dopey Challenge Training – Week 20

wp-1479081403672.jpegDaylight Saving Time (or rather, the lack thereof) certainly got the best of me this week. I attempted to run on the treadmill three times, with decreasing success each time. I am going to try a few different things over the next week or two, including running at work before heading home and just sucking it up and getting out for a dark run. I’ve got lots to look forward to in the next week, including a half marathon on Saturday!

I’m also very excited about the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Kick Off Reception this Friday, November 18, at MedStar Health at Lafayette Centre. There’s going to be food and drink, unveiling of the t-shirt design, raffle for 25 lottery exemptions, and more! If you’re interested in joining me, register here!

Monday 11/7: 2 shakeout miles on the treadmill (30:00) followed by the Stability Performance Workout

Tuesday 11/8: REST! Glorious rest day. Got up early to cast my ballot and then relaxed the rest of the day.  Took a long bath and spent a little extra time with my foam roller and doing some yoga.

Wednesday 11/9: 3 treadmill miles (45:00) 15’00” pace followed by the Stability Performance Workout

Ugh. I hate running on the treadmill – I feel very slow, because I have to program in a speed and it all feels so hard because I’m not going anywhere.

Thursday 11/10: AM: Hatha Yoga with Alison | PM: 6 miles

Yoga on Thursday morning was great – my teacher just finished both the Marine Corps Marathon and the New York City Marathon! I’m considering signing up for her Yoga for Athletes series in February next year.

I didn’t end up running 6 this evening. Traffic was a bit more than usual and by the time I made it home, I wasn’t up to running. I’m chalking this one up to no more daylight saving time. I moved this run to Saturday thinking that I need to get used to longer back-to-back runs anyway.

Friday 11/11: 3 miles 1.5 miles… I hate Treadmill running, and I hate morning run… a morning treadmill run? I don’t even know why I thought that would happen.

Saturday 11/12: Yoga  6 Mile run (1:15:26) 12’31” pace

A fairly uneventful run, felt alright, even great at some points. Made sure to rest and stretch anticipating my longer Sunday run.

Sunday 11/13: 10 Miles (2:04:34) 12’27” pace?

My Garmin may have eaten this run – I’m hoping that it will sort itself out and reappear, but I’m not holding my breath. My number above are probably a little off since I think I actually ran a bit less than ten miles. Oh well. My right knee was aching by mile 9… definitely time to return to some of my PT exercises.

I tried Hüma gels during this run – I liked the flavors alright, but I’m not super convinced they would be my go to fuel source. I’m trying to get away from Gus and other gels because of all of the artificial ingredients. I thought Hüma gels, made with chia seeds and other “natural” ingredients, would be a nice alternative. I will probably just need to try them more!

Linking up this week with the Weekly Wrap, hosted by Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin!

weeklywrap

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “Dopey Challenge Training – Week 20

1. Lesley says:

I’m much slower on the treadmill too. Any faster and I don’t feel comfortable, and I’m not running my stride. I’m accepting that I’ll be on the treadmill during the week, but if the weather cooperates, I’ll definitely be outside for the weekend runs.

• heathermundwiler says:

So far, I’ve loved every class I’ve taken with Alison, so I can only imagine I’d love the Yoga for Athletes workshop with her – I never knew there was a specific yoga teacher training for yoga for athletes!

2. Lindsay Loves Running says:

I have to say that I love running on the treadmill, but I do always run slower on it than I would outside. Running outside has really been tough with daylight savings – it’s been kicking my butt as well! Hang in there! On fueling, I’ve been experimenting – I ran the NYC marathon with Honey Stinger Chews. I’m going to start experimenting with Tailwind now – I’ll keep you posted!

3. HoHo Runs says:

That Yoga for Athletes sounds like a great class and being led by someone who is an experienced runner would be a huge plus. I still use GU but in the last couple of years added Tailwind (instead of Gatorade) and SaltStick capsules. I love my early morning runs, but I don’t feel I’ve adjusted to the time change just yet. I gave my treadmill away. I don’t miss it. LOL. Thanks for linking!

4. Coco says:

OTF has spoiled me for treadmill running – I can only stand intervals now! I don’t fuel on my runs (just Nuun) — something I’ll have to figure out if I decide to train for a marathon next year.

Looking forward to the CUCB event tomorrow!

5. Elizabeth at les plus beauxx says:

I have such a hard time on the treadmill – I feel like I’m working so much harder. Did you like Huma? I like the idea of them, but I’m afraid they’d be really gelatinous because of the chia seeds. 😉 I use Clif gels (espresso – because I don’t drink coffee before running). I used to eat Clif shot blocks, but they would freeze on winter runs.

• heathermundwiler says:

Yes! I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only who feels like they are working harder on the treadmill. Running outside is so easy!
      I didn’t dislike the Huma – but I’m not sure they are for me. They were not AT ALL gelatinous, I probably wouldn’t have even known there were chia seeds if it weren’t all over the package. I found it easier to take than a GU or gel which I feel like I have to chew sometimes, but still needed water with the Huma.
      Oh dear, frozen blocks! That would not be fun!